Wednesday, February 6, 2008

CLASSIC ROCK (THE 70'S)





The 70's is considered as the best ROCK era ever with bands like Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd etc. There has never been an era like the 70's. I was born in 1971 and maybe that is why I love the bands from the 70's so much. It has been my in 'flesh and blood'. Since I was a child my brothers (I'm the youngest in the family) would play (0r I would ask them) songs from the bands through vinyls.
I grew up with music from Deep Purple. Those who claim themselves rockers but don't know anything or never heard of the band should better forget about being a rocker and start listening to the Spice Girls. Ritchie Blackmore has always been my favourite guitarist (until now). His tone and guitarwork are truly tremendous. That's why so many guitarists tried to copy his solos, riffs, sound and style of play. Until now I still listen to his music through his medieval sound of Blackmore's Night.
The greatest rock drummer for me is also from this band. Ian Paice has the speed and uniqueness that no other drummer has. Most probably because of his left-handed style of play. Since childhood , I always wanted to play drums like him. Although I play drums, I never got to play like him, not even close.
All my five brothers played a role in molding me musically. My eldest bro introduced me to Deep Purple, Manfred Mann's EB, Santana and Uriah Heep. My second bro is more towards the blues with names like ZZ Top, Cream (with Eric Clapton), Jimi Hendrix, Bad Company and Pink Floyd. The third one had a continuation of my first bro. Bands like Black Sabbath, Queen, The Knack, Eagles and Rainbow were brought to my life by my fourth bro and my fifth bro rocked me with Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits and Rush.
With a little help from friends, bands like The Allman Bros Band, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Free, Lynyrd Skynyrd,UFO and Jeff Beck Band were introduced.
LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL!

No comments: